Monday, October 19, 2015

 The 18 Year Olds of the Africa Mercy!  From left to right, Ivar, Ingrid, Me, Emma and Lars.  Ingrid and Lars are from Norway and were only here for this past week for a school trip. Just a week with those two created relationships for me that I'll hold onto for years to come!
 The best breakfast is a late breakfast.
 "Coconut Macaroons" and a bonbon (cream soda) is a new favorite combo.
 Camping on the beach at Mahambo  =  A good nap!
 My sister will be jealous of this; mangoes are a huge part of my diet here on the Africa Mercy. 

       This past week has reminded me that I'm going to be here for 8 more months, and that a lot of other people are not.  The topmost picture is of all three 18 year old crew, with two more amazing 18-year-olds as well.  Even though these two friends only came for a week, they have made an impact on my time here very much.  An abounding persona of service and humility in people who are my own age, instead of in friends who are older than me, was a good change and greatly encouraged me for the months ahead.  
       The second picture is of me and my friends, Jenny and Juan.  Juan has been a huge friend to me these past 2 months.  We've been through many adventures together, some of which are illustrated in the last 4 pictures!  He was here for the last field service in Madagascar, so he showed me all around Tamatave.  He has been a genuine mentor and friend to me.  
       Juan left the ship this morning, and I had to say goodbye.  His time on the Africa Mercy, at least in the foreseable future, is up.  One of the first of many hard goodbyes to come.  More importantly though, he was the first of many good friendships, both present and future.  I have a curious thought that many of my friends on the Africa Mercy will be the lifetime sort.  So when I think of it that way, then simple moments of "goodbye's" are hardly anything compared to lifetimes of adventure. 

1 comment:

  1. Mangoes! Not only your sister but your uncle is jealous as well.

    ReplyDelete